flow order

Hi,

we’ve done an exploratory IonTorrent run, with several mock communities and controls.
I originally got FASTQ data, but now I’m trying to improve (if possible …) the data by starting from .sff.

When setting flow order to =I, mothur crashes, probably due to a lack of memory. It’s a 22 core server with 64 GB RAM.
This even happens when selecting only 1 sample, and using only 1 processor. (as the latter is suggested in the error message). This does not happen when using order=A (TACG).

Now, looking up the flow order ‘I’, this is a string TACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGC repeated 21 times*.

Why is order=A a single TACG, and order=I a repetition of TACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGC and not just once?
Could this be the cause of the error? Or do I effectively lack RAM?

Thanks in advance
TACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGCTACGTACGTCTGAGCATCGATCGATGTACAGC

Where is it crashing - trim.flows or shhh.flows? If it’s in shhh.flows then it’s because IonTorrent data are really bad and have a high error rate. This results in a lot of unique sequences and sucks up tons of RAM.

Pat

No, trim.flows(), sorry, should have mentioned.

Hmmm… Can you post the sff and oligos files for me somewhere to take a look?