Error message while making contigs in 1.44.3

I recently came across this error while making contain files.

mothur > make.contigs(file=stability.files, processors=8)

Using 8 processors.

Processing file pair /Users/genecis/Desktop/mothur/sample_10_R1.fastq - /Users/genecis/Desktop/mothur/sample_10_R2.fastq (files 1 of 15) <<<<<

Making contigs…

[WARNING]: reading expected a name with @ as a leading character, ignoring read.

[WARNING]: reading G?+%?.W5? expected a name with + as a leading character, ignoring.[WARNING]: names do not match. read for fasta and G?+%?.W5? for quality, ignoring.[WARNING]: Lengths do not match for sequence . Read 37 characters for fasta and 4 characters for quality scores, ignoring read.[ERROR]: finding negative quality scores, do you have the right format selected? FASTQ format - Wikipedia

[WARNING]: reading expected a name with @ as a leading character, ignoring read.

[WARNING]: reading ?2?VJ??n?Oサwew٠?EJI? expected a name with + as a leading character, ignoring.[WARNING]: names do not match. read for fasta and ?2?VJ??n?Oサwew٠?EJI? for quality, ignoring.[WARNING]: Lengths do not match for sequence . Read 37 characters for fasta and 14 characters for quality scores, ignoring read.[ERROR]: finding negative quality scores, do you have the right format selected? FASTQ format - Wikipedia

?f6 is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

Rzy?0??D9??V?E?J??S???8r??Njہ??K?#?Y͍???0R??w?PgD?a?? is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

d^?~8???[$???˒"f"?J?MƋ~i?"???zū6??bzm?? is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

j.?4?U5?V??!?5 is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

?z|Y贁?Sq?W-?Z?^???l?n?_6U???M???=?? is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

?U|??H??w?? is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

?+???m?_??QZʑ`)? is in your forward fastq file and not in your reverse file, please remove it using the remove.seqs command before proceeding.

zsh: segmentation fault ./mothur

My log file for this command is empty.

Is it possible that you really have fastq.gz files rather than fastq files? I’ve seen that type of output when getting the two confused.

Hi Pat,
Yes you are right! I was able to solve that issue. Thank you for your response.

Best Regards,
Deeksha

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.