Problems with make.shared

Hello there,

I am currently having issues running the make.shared command after running the phylotype command. I started off using the 1.32.1 version of mothur, and receive the following error message:

mothur > make.shared(list=stability.trim.contigs.good.unique.good.filter.unique.precluster.pick.gg.wang.pick.tx.list, count=stability.trim.contigs.good.unique.good.filter.unique.precluster.uchime.pick.pick.count_table, label=1)

[ERROR]: std::bad_alloc has occurred in the SharedListVector class function SharedListVector. This error indicates your computer is running out of memory.  This is most commonly caused by trying to process a dataset too large, using multiple processors, or a file format issue. If you are running our 32bit version, your memory usage is limited to 4G.  If you have more than 4G of RAM and are running a 64bit OS, using our 64bit version may resolve your issue.  If you are using multiple processors, try running the command with processors=1, the more processors you use the more memory is required. Also, you may be able to reduce the size of your dataset by using the commands outlined in the Schloss SOP, http://www.mothur.org/wiki/Schloss_SOP. If you are uable to resolve the issue, please contact Pat Schloss at mothur.bugs@gmail.com, and be sure to include the mothur.logFile with your inquiry.

I then tried to run the command using the current 1.36.1 version of mothur, running the same command as above. However, an “illegal instruction” message is returned.

I would appreciate any advice on how to approach this problem.

Many thanks,

Jo

We have resolved the “illegal instruction” bug. Can you try version 1.36.1 Mothur.linux_64.zip?

Thanks - I will give this a try and report back on here!