mothur

Count and name file mismatch

Hi, can somebody help me with this?. After running align.seqs I tried running the command summary.seqs and keep getting an error. How do I fix this? Thanks

mothur > align.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.fasta, reference=silva.bacteria.fasta, flip=t, processors=8)

Output File Names:
otus_leq.align
otus_leq.align.report
otus_leq.flip.accnos

mothur > summary.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.align, count=otus_leq.count_table)

Using 8 processors.
[ERROR]: Your name file contains 5298 unique sequences, but your fasta file contains 4106. File mismatch detected, quitting command.

I think you are running in the same problems as before. I run into that problem more often than I like too! So, summary.seqs is actually using your name file. At some point, you cleaned your fasta (or reduced with a unique) and the name file did not got it.

Could you put your full command list? It is very easy at some step to create a mismatch between the fasta/align and the name file

mothur > align.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.fasta, reference=silva.bacteria.fasta, flip=t, processors=8)
Reading in the silva.bacteria.fasta template sequences… DONE.
It took 25 to read 14956 sequences.

Aligning sequences from otus_leq.fasta …
530
530
530
530
530
530
530
536
It took 11 secs to align 4246 sequences.

[WARNING]: 19 of your sequences generated alignments that eliminated too many bases, a list is provided in otus_leq.flip.accnos.
[NOTE]: 6 of your sequences were reversed to produce a better alignment.

It took 11 seconds to align 4246 sequences.

Output File Names:
otus_leq.align
otus_leq.align.report
otus_leq.flip.accnos

mothur > summary.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.align, count=otus_leq.count_table)

Using 8 processors.
[ERROR]: Your name file contains 5438 unique sequences, but your fasta file contains 4246. File mismatch detected, quitting command.

mothur > remove.seqs(fasta=current, accnos=otus_leq.flip.accnos, count=current, dups=t)

Using otus_leq.count_table as input file for the count parameter.
Using otus_leq.align as input file for the fasta parameter.

[NOTE]: The count file should contain only unique names, so mothur assumes your fasta, list and taxonomy files also contain only uniques.

Removed 19 sequences from your fasta file.
[ERROR]: NOT is not in your count table. Please correct.

Hi Emma
You have already a problem in the number of sequences before that step. I meant: Could you send all the steps also before that one? (So, your pipeline). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences is an independent U.S. not-for-profit marine research and educational organization with 501©(3) status and a Bermuda Registered Charity (#116). Visit us in Bermuda or at www.bios.edu

1 Like

You probably meant to run

align.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.unique.fasta, reference=silva.bacteria.fasta, flip=t, processors=8)
summary.seqs(fasta=otus_leq.unique.align, count=otus_leq.count_table)

As @leocadio mentioned, it would be helpful to see what commands you ran before running align.seqs.
Pat

Ok @leocadio and @pschloss! The steps before were made by my partner with Usearch so we are going to check it! Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.