Segmentation fault using align.seqs

Hi!

I am currently analyzing a V4 Miseq 2x150 dataset using the latest MOTHUR release. I am using a cluster with 30 cores and should have about 16 TB memory space. At this stage I have 6416527 sequences of which 419706 are unique left and I tried to align them to the v4 segment of the silva reference, created by following the MiseqSOP.

However, after running this command:

align.seqs(fasta=ABFI_stab_ms2.contigs.good.unique.fasta, reference=silva.v4.fasta, processors=30)

I first got this:

Reading in the silva.v4.fasta template sequences...DONE.
It took 4 to read  14956 sequences.
Aligning sequences from ABFI_stab_ms2.trim.contigs.good.unique.fasta ...
*** glibc detected *** ./mothur: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x0000000040382dc0 ***
*** glibc detected *** ./mothur: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x0000000040382dc0 ***
(......)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

And mothur crashed. The second time I tried I got:

Reading in the silva.v4.fasta template sequences... DONE.
It took 4 to read  14956 sequences.

Is this a problem that you have seen before? Hopefully you can point me in the right direction!

thanks, cheers, Aniek

MPI? Did you build the version of mothur or download an executable?

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am new here. What do you mean by MPI? I compiled Mothur in linux from the mothur-1.35.1.tar.gz source code download.

hope this helps,
thanks
Aniek

Welcome to mothur! I was asking if you built the executable with the USEMPI=yes flag set in the makefile? It sounds like you did not. Have you tried running our prebuilt executable, https://github.com/mothur/mothur/releases? The Mothur.cen_64.zip is our linux version.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I have now downloaded your executable and used it. Same problem:

mothur > align.seqs(fasta=ABFI_stab_ms2.trim.contigs.good.unique.fasta, reference=silva.v4.fasta, processors=30)

Using 30 processors.

Reading in the silva.v4.fasta template sequences... DONE.
It took 8 to read  14956 sequences.

regards
Aniek

Hello Aniek,
I have exactly the same problem with 1.35. Did you solve it finally?

Alexandra

Hi Alexandra

no, I have not been able to solve it. The problem stayed when I ran it on the computer cluster, but on my mac it was fine (less cores). I ran it there instead and proceeded on the cluster,

good luck
Aniek

The problem is likely that you were using 30 cores and so the reference data gets copied 30 times sucking up tons of RAM and crashing out your computer.

Ok that explains. Thanks Pat!