Make.sra "error": "sample A is a duplicate sample to B

Hi all,

I’ve created the project and mimarks files for make.sra using mothur’s instructions. My samples are named with a {letterNumber} structure; e.g., A001, A002, … When I run make.sra, I get the following message: “A002 is a duplicate sample to A001. It has all the same attributes in the MIMarks file. Samples must have distinguishing features to be uploaded to the NCBI library, please correct.”

What am I doing wrong?

Could you post your log, project and mimarks files?

Thank you. I sent the data to mothur.bugs.

Thanks for sending your files. The issue is caused by the mimarks file entries. NCBI requires samples to contain different information in the mimarks file. Looking at the samples in question:

ARM001 ArtPrize study samples missing MiSeq V4 human skin metagenome 2015 human-associated habitat organic feature organic material United States of America: Michigan Homo sapiens 42.9607 N 85.4955 W forearm
ARM002 ArtPrize study samples missing MiSeq V4 human skin metagenome 2015 human-associated habitat organic feature organic material United States of America: Michigan Homo sapiens 42.9607 N 85.4955 W forearm

The samples are identical in the mimarks file. You need to modify the mimarks file to distinguish between the samples.

Thank you – yes, that was an oversight of my part.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.