Demultiplexing MiSeq Data

Hello,

I’m trying to separate data from a barcoded MiSeq run into separate groups. The sequencing service I’m using used barcodes on the forward primer only, and I made an oligos file with the barcodes and primers (below).

When I run the make.contigs command (using fasta=stability.files and the .files file has the three columns as described in the MiSeq SOP wiki) I get an error that says “barcodes must be paired unless you are using an index file.” I’ve searched though all the files I have, but I can’t find anything that looks like the example index file on the make.contigs wiki page. Is this something I’m meant to make? If so, can someone elaborate on how?

Thanks! Let me know if you need more information!
Eric

primer GTGCCAGCMGCCGCGGTAA GGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT V3
barcode GAGAGTGT None HogWaste1
barcode GAGTCACT None HogWaste2
barcode GAGATCAG None HRSD1
barcode GAGATCTC None HRSD2
barcode GAGATGAC None Red1
barcode GAGATGTG None Red2
barcode GAGTACAG None Brown1
barcode GAGTACTC None Brown2
barcode GAGTAGAC None Floc1
barcode GAGTCAGA None Floc2
barcode GAGTAGTG None Eff1
barcode GAGTCTCA None Eff2

I’ve continued going through files and found something that looks very similar to the example index file, but it’s not fastq, the sequences are much longer than in the example, and the header isn’t in the same format (first few lines pasted below). The first 8 bases do correspond to my barcodes, but I’m not sure if this is my index file or if it somehow becomes my index file.

Thank you!

M02542:21:000000000-AAMB0:1:2105:21214:20751 1:N:0:7
GAGTAGACGTGCCAGCCGCCGCGGTAATACGTAGGGGGCTAGCGTTATCCGGATTTACTGGGCGTAAAGGGTGCGTAGGTGGTTTCTTAAGTCAGAGGTGAAAGGCTACGGCTCAACCGTAGTAAGCCTTTGAAACTGGGAAACTTGAGTGCAGGAGAGGAGAGTGGAATTCCTAGTGTAGCGGTGAAATGCGTAGATATTAGGAGGAACACCAGTTGCGAAGGCGGCTCTCTGGACTGTAACTGACACTGAGGCACGAAAGCGTGGGGAGCAAACAGGATTAGATACCCGTGTAGTCC
M02542:21:000000000-AAMB0:1:2116:9375:7377 1:N:0:7
GAGTAGTGGTGCCAGCCGCCGCGGTAATACGTAGGGGGCGAGCGTTGTCCGGATTTACTGGGTGTAAAGGGCGCGTAGGCGGAACGGTAAGTCAGTGGTGAAATCTTGCGGCTTAACCGCAAAACTGCCGTTGATACTGCTGTTCTTGAGTATAGGAGAGAGAGGCGGAATTCCAGGTGTAGTGGTGAAATACGTAGATATCTGGAAGAACACCAATTGCGAAGGCTGCTTCTTGGCCTATTACTGACGCTGAGGCGCGAAAGCGTGGGGAGCAAACAGGATTAGATACCCCCGTAGTCC

Can you check this thread and see if it solves your problem?

http://www.mothur.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3159&start=10#p9096

Pat

Dear Mothur,
I am getting more of scrap sequences than contigs. I guess the problem could be oligos file. Please find it below
mothur “#make.contigs(ffastq=F_001.fastq, rfastq=R_001.fastq,oligos=exp1.oligos, processors=1)”

primer ACTCCTACGGGAGGCAGCAG GGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT
barcode ACAGCCACCCATCGA CCATCACATAGG Saga2
barcode ACAGCCACCCATCGA GTGGTATGGGAGA Saga3
barcode ACAGCCACCCATCGA ACTTTAAGGGTGA Saga4
barcode ACAGCCACCCATCGA TGTTGCGTTTCTTC Saga5
barcode ACAGCCACCCATCGA ATGTCCGACCAATC Saga6

If my oligo file format is correct then what can be the possible reason of th problem?

Best,
Rich

Have you tried running it with pdiffs=2, bdiffs=1?