compilation problems mothur v1.36.1

Dear mothur team,

I am using Ubuntu LTS 14.04 and wanted to install the recent version of mothur including boost. I followed all steps mentioned in the Install.md to
install boost (I installed it in my home folder) and to modify mothur’s makefile. In addition, I activated the line “CXXFLAGS += -mtune=native -march=native” for the linux installation and uncommented the corresponding line for the mac installation. When installing, I get the following error message:

fatal error: boost/iostreams/detail/config/dyn_link.hpp: No such file or directory
#include <boost/iostreams/detail/config/dyn_link.hpp>

The file actually exists under the directory given in the error message. Do I have to add soemthing to the makefile? Any other suggestions?

Thank you and best wishes,
Michael

Hi,

A quick look at the makefile… although

BOOST_INCLUDE_DIR and BOOST_LIBRARY_DIR

are defined should they not also be passed to the compiler as an include directory for header files?

CXXFLAGS += -DUSE_BOOST -I ${BOOST_LIBRARY_DIR} -I ${BOOST_INCLUDE_DIR}

Just tested that on an Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS VM and mothur did compile OK using boost 1.59 in a non default location.

Regarding the boost install I had to make a slight change to the b2 install to add a prefix otherwise it tried to copy files into a system directory I had no access to.

./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/usr/local/src/boost/1.59
./b2 install   --prefix=/usr/local/src/boost/1.59

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian,

thanks a lot. That solved the problem.

Best wishes,
Michael