Wrong abundance annotation in chimera.uchime

The chimera.uchime command annotate sequence abundance with “/size=xx/” when uchime expect to find it in the format “/ab=xx/”

Error produced by the following command:

mothur "#chimera.uchime(fasta=A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.fasta, name=A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.names, reference=self)"

The standard error being:

00:00  29Mb    0.1% Reading A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.temp
WARNING: Ignoring gaps in FASTA file 'A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.temp'
00:01  33Mb  100.0% Reading A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.temp
00:01  33Mb 10.1k sequences                                                  

/global/apps/ecogen/mothur/1.37.3/bin/uchime --input A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.temp --uchimeout A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.denovo.uchime.chimeras

---Fatal error---
Missing abundance /ab=xx/ in label >M03696_2_000000000-AH4JL_1_1101_22078_1905_1/size=2020/

and the mothur logfile contains:

Linux version

Running 64Bit Version

mothur v.1.37.1
Last updated: 4/18/2016

Patrick D. Schloss

Department of Microbiology & Immunology
University of Michigan

When using, please cite:
Schloss, P.D., et al., Introducing mothur: Open-source, platform-independent, community-supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. 
Appl Environ Microbiol, 2009. 75(23):7537-41.

Distributed under the GNU General Public License

Type 'help()' for information on the commands that are available

Type 'quit()' to exit program
Script Mode

mothur > chimera.uchime(fasta=A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.fasta, name=A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.names, reference=self)

Using 1 processors.

uchime by Robert C. Edgar
This code is donated to the public domain.

Checking sequences from A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.fasta ...
[ERROR]: A01_rhizo.trim.unique.good.filter.precluster.denovo.uchime.chimeras is blank. Please correct.

It took 3 secs to check 0 sequences. 0 chimeras were found.

Output File Names: 

mothur > quit()

Detected 1 [ERROR] messages, please review.

I tested it with version 1.37.2 and 1.37.3, and also after removing gaps from the sequences, the error remains.
I also verified that the UCHIME executable used was the one provided with the corresponding mothur version.
By the way, in all logfiles of mothur v.1.37.2 and v.1.37.3, the version is wrong (‘v.1.37.1’).

I posted it first as an issue on GitHub, but I just realize that most bugs were reported here.

Thanks for reporting bugs! You can report them here or to Github, :). Version 1.34.4 corrects this issue, https://github.com/mothur/mothur/releases/tag/v1.37.4.