Hi, I’d just like to start off by saying I’m a complete newbie, not just to mothur, but to bioinformatics in general. And I don’t really have a bug to report, but I’m not sure where else to post my question.
Anyway, I’ve been running the Costello and Sogin analysis examples and have got one big question. It seems that the results from my runs are different than the results that’s posted in the step-by-step tutorial.
For example, I started noticing differences between my runs and the posted results in the Costello example after the first unique.seqs command. The posted result says there’s 20343 unique seqs, while my run said there’s 20530. Similarly, for the Sogin example, the diversity estimates I got at the end were different than the ones posted.
I know that mothur has been updated a number of time since the examples were posted, so I just wanted to check that the difference that I saw was due to differences in mothur version and not because there was something wrong with my computer that gives me the wrong output. (Like I said, I’m a total newb to all this!)
Thank you so much!