Problems with libraries: installing v1.45.0

Installation issues involving libraries always stump me; hoping someone can help. I have always installed Mothur using either Mothur.linux.zip or Mothur.linux_noReadline.zip, so I tried the same again. I have two machines. Here’s the info, my steps, and errors I get for each:

Machine 1
Operating System: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:7
Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64

Tried installing: Mothur.linux.zip
Error:
mothur: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Tried installing: Mothur.linux_noReadline.zip
Errors:
mothur: /lib64/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by mothur) mothur: /lib64/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.23’ not found (required by mothur)
mothur: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by mothur) mothur: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.8’ not found (required by mothur)
mothur: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by mothur) mothur: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by mothur)
mothur: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by mothur) mothur: /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.28’ not found (required by mothur)

Machine 2
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

Tried installing: Mothur.Ubuntu_20.zip
Error:
mothur: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by mothur) mothur: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.26’ not found (required by mothur)
mothur: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28’ not found (required by mothur)

Tried installing: Mothur.linux.zip
Error:
mothur: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28’ not found (required by mothur)

Tried installing: Mothur.linux_noReadline.zip
Error:

So, what is it that I need to do here? I can’t update either system; both are managed by my workplace. But I have Ubuntu 20 on a personal machine so I could potentially try that. I could try building from source, but I’ve never had to build Mothur from source so I wanted to inquire here for some help before I jump down any rabbitholes.

Thanks!

The versions of mothur built for Centos 8 and Ubuntu 20 will not work on older versions of the operating systems. I built a version of 1.45.0 for Centos 7. You can download it with or without the readline libraries here, Release Version 1.45.0 · mothur/mothur · GitHub.

1 Like

Would this work on a RHEL 7? I cannot upgrade my server to REHL 8 due to lack of dell support (drivers)

Edit: I meant using the 1.45 for centos 7 in my RHEL 7

Thank you! I will give this a try before the weekend, once I’m done using the current version that I have.

I was running into the same issues with 1.45 and 1.45.1. I tried both the regular non ubuntu linux version as well as the noReadline versions as well. With the noReadline version it get the following:

./mothur/mothur: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by ./mothur/mothur) ./mothur/mothur: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by ./mothur/mothur)
./mothur/mothur: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28’ not found (required by ./mothur/mothur)

I able able to successfully start version 1.44.3 in this same ubuntu 16.04 environment.

The latest versions of mothur are built for Ubuntu 20 and Centos 8. Can you try the Centos 7 linux version found here, https://github.com/mothur/mothur/releases/download/v1.45.2/Mothur.Centos7_noReadline.zip

1 Like

I just tried it out on the same Ubuntu 16.04 environment and the 1.45.2 Centos 7 linux version was able to run.

1 Like