Co-ordinates for aligning v5-v7 region

Hi, all. We amplified the V5-V7 region of 16srRNA with our root samples using the primers (799F) AACMGGATTAGATACCCKG and (1193R) ACGTCATCCCCACCTTCC. I tried to find the co-ordinates in Silva bacteria to align my sequences but each time I try to customize it, my mothur closes. Any idea on the start and end points to align my V5-V7 sequences?

Hi Ananta,

Are you following this tutorial?

Can you post how far you’ve gotten before you run into problems?

Thanks,
Pat

Dr Pat,

Yes I am following the protocol. Even just now, I along with a professor of Molecular Biology here at USU tried but the same happened.

I have attached herewith the screenshot of the problem.
Regards

Can you post the contents of the fasta file you are trying to align?

I have attached herewith the the e coli fasta which I obtained from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/174375?report=fasta ; along with list of primers and the E coli V5-V7 fasta which I used to align. The forward primer ends at 798th base and the reverse primer ends at 1176th base and hence the sequence I used is from 799th to 1175th base.

(Attachment ecoli.fasta.txt is missing)

(Attachment ecoli_V5-V7.fasta.txt is missing)

(Attachment V5-V7.oligos.txt is missing)

I think the previous attachments failed. So, I have attached here with a word file of the same.

Regards

(Attachment V5-V7.docx is missing)

gtagtccacgccgtaaacgatgtcgacttggaggttgtgcccttgaggcgtggcttccggagctaacgcgttaagtcgaccgcctggggagtacggccgcaaggttaaaactcaaatgaattgacgggggcccgcacaagcggtggagcatgtggtttaattcgatgcaacgcgaagaaccttacctggtcttgacatccacggaagttttcagagatgagaatgtgccttcgggaaccgtgagacaggtgctgcatggctgtcgtcagctcgtgttgtgaaatgttgggttaagtcccgcaacgagcgcaacccttatcctttgttgccagcggtccggccgggaactcaaaggagactgccagtgataaactgga

gtagtccacgccgtaaacgatgtcgacttggaggttgtgcccttgaggcgtggcttccggagctaacgcgttaagtcgaccgcctggggagtacggccgcaaggttaaaactcaaatgaattgacgggggcccgcacaagcggtggagcatgtggtttaattcgatgcaacgcgaagaaccttacctggtcttgacatccacggaagttttcagagatgagaatgtgccttcgggaaccgtgagacaggtgctgcatggctgtcgtcagctcgtgttgtgaaatgttgggttaagtcccgcaacgagcgcaacccttatcctttgttgccagcggtccggccgggaactcaaaggagactgccagtgataaactgga

The first line needs to start with a > followed by the name of the sequence…

> ecoli
gtagtccacgccgtaaacgatgtcgacttggaggttgtgcccttgaggcgtggcttccggagctaacgcgttaagtc
gaccgcctggggagtacggccgcaaggttaaaactcaaatgaattgacgggggcccgcacaagcggtggagc
atgtggtttaattcgatgcaacgcgaagaaccttacctggtcttgacatccacggaagttttcagagatgagaatgtg
ccttcgggaaccgtgagacaggtgctgcatggctgtcgtcagctcgtgttgtgaaatgttgggttaagtcccgcaac
gagcgcaacccttatcctttgttgccagcggtccggccgggaactcaaaggagactgccagtgataaactgga

My computer screen seems like this for 3 hours , could not proceed.

Is it not possible to align our sequences to whole silva bacteria , I could not proceed to find out the co-ordinates I required for aligning V5-V7 region. I left the computer on for whole night and there was no progress at all.

Can you post everything you’ve done starting from the beginning? I can’t see what you’re doing and your descriptions aren’t clear enough for me to understand where you are getting hung up. Could you possibly attach ecoli_V5-V7.fasta.txt?

Pat

I am trying to find the co-ordinates in silva bacteria to align my V5-V7 amplified 16srRNA sequences. Let me make clear what I did:

I obtained the E coli 16sr RNA from the link here Escherichia coli 16S ribosomal RNA, complete sequence - Nucleotide - NCBI, and I trimmed the E coli 16srRNA sequence using the 799F (AACMGGATTAGATACCCKG) and 1193R (ACGTCATCCCCACCTTCC). Then the resulting E coli V5-V7 fasta.txt was used to align against the silva.bacteria.fasta and also against silva.seed_v123. Doing that, the Mothur proceeded to some steps and after that I could only see a vertical stack of 0’s (zeros) in the left corner of my computer screen for 4-5 hours; still I left the computer on for the whole night but the step did not proceed.
The ecoli-V5-V7.fasta I used was

ecoli

I’m not sure what was going wrong for you. Were you perhaps saving ecoli-V5-V7.fasta in word? Regardless, here’s what I got…

mothur > align.seqs(fasta=ecoli-V5-V7.fasta, reference = silva.bacteria.fasta)

Using 10 processors.

Reading in the silva.bacteria.fasta template sequences...	DONE.
It took 11 to read  14956 sequences.

Aligning sequences from ecoli-V5-V7.fasta ...
It took 0 secs to align 1 sequences.

It took 1 seconds to align 1 sequences.

Output File Names: 
ecoli-V5-V7.align
ecoli-V5-V7.align_report

mothur > summary.seqs()
Using ecoli-V5-V7.align as input file for the fasta parameter.

Using 10 processors.

Start	End	NBases	Ambigs	Polymer	NumSeqs
Minimum:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
2.5%-tile:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
25%-tile:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
Median: 	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
75%-tile:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
97.5%-tile:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
Maximum:	25292	37693	377	0	5	1
Mean:	25292	37693	377	0	5
# of Seqs:	1

It took 0 secs to summarize 1 sequences.

Output File Names:
ecoli-V5-V7.summary

I saved it in text file in the same folder where I have mothur files. Anyways, thank you very much Pat, I appreciate your help so much. You are the best .